Blue Man Group postpones launch of new Orlando show
Published in Entertainment News
ORLANDO, Fla. — Blue Man Group’s return to Orlando has been delayed again.
Performances were scheduled to begin April 3 in a new 580-seat theater at Icon Park, in the shadow of the Orlando Eye observation wheel on International Drive.
But construction on the theater is not complete, and the official Blue Man website now designates that it will be “opening soon in Orlando” rather than a specific date, month or season. As of Wednesday afternoon, heavy machinery was at the site facing Universal Boulevard and excavation work has been done, but there was no visible vertical construction.
In an official statement, Blue Man Group said it is “thrilled” about its move back into Orlando after a five-year absence.
“The group’s new home will be the bald, blue trio’s first ever theater built from the ground up. Unfortunately, that comes with occasional challenges,” it reads. “We continue to work hard to make progress, and we can’t wait to bring Orlando all the surprising, fun and iconic moments you have come to expect from Blue Man Group.”
The Blue Man website continues to sell tickets. The earliest date available is May 29, the Thursday after Memorial Day. That’s one week after Universal’s Epic Universe theme park opens nearby.
An email from Blue Man Group sent to ticket buyers said “in order to deliver the best experience to our audiences, we have made the decision to postpone our opening previously scheduled for April 3, 2025.” It said full refunds were being processed.
Blue Man Group is known for speechless productions featuring percussion, paints and humor by three blue-skinned, bald performers. The company was founded in New York City in 1987. It currently has standing shows in Boston, Las Vegas, Berlin and Shanghai.
The move into Icon Park was announced in June 2024 with a goal of opening by the end of the year. There was a ceremonial groundbreaking in September 2024, but the next month, an opening date of April 3, 2025 was announced.
In January, Blue Man Group confirmed that plans for the new Orlando show would go on despite the closure of its long-running productions in New York and Chicago.
The company has said that the Icon Park show will feature familiar Blue Man routines and fresh material, including new musical pieces.
Blue Man Group had a 14-year run at Universal Orlando in a converted theater accessed via Universal CityWalk. Production shut down as the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in 2020. The show never returned and was officially closed the next year.
In 2017, Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group purchased Blue Man Productions. Cirque operates the “Drawn to Life” show at Disney Springs.
©2025 Orlando Sentinel. Visit orlandosentinel.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Comments