Rachel Morin case: Jurors asked about 'strong feelings' on murder suspect and his need for interpreter
Published in News & Features
BALTIMORE — As the highly anticipated trial of Rachel Morin’s accused killer began early Tuesday, Harford Circuit Judge Yolanda Curtin denied public access to the courtroom amid the first day of jury selection. Sheriff’s deputies said the entire room was filled with potential jurors and no others could be allowed inside, due to fire code issues.
By around 11 a.m., doors to the courtroom were opened, allowing observers to listen in on — but not enter the courtroom for — the first day of the trial of Victor Antonio Martinez-Hernandez, charged with murder and rape in the August 2023 killing of Morin on the Ma and Pa Heritage Trail in Bel Air, Maryland.
Sitting shoulder-to-shoulder on courtroom benches and along the wall, 124 potential jurors were asked to stand if they agreed with certain statements. If they stood, their juror number was read into the record, then each sat back down.
Most of the potential jurors stood when asked if they had “strong feelings” about Morin’s killing or the charges and allegations against Martinez-Hernandez in the case.
A few stood when asked if they had “strong feelings” about race, ethnicity, immigration status or other personal bias.
About a dozen stood up when asked if they would have strong feelings or concerns about viewing images of the crime scene, Morin’s body and other images.
When asked if they had bias toward Martinez-Hernandez, who is from El Salvador, and if they had strong feelings about the court’s use of a certified interpreter for both Martinez-Hernandez’s testimony and witness testimony, a few stood up.
A Harford County sheriff’s deputy working at the courtroom Tuesday morning said the courtroom’s official capacity is 124 people. A juror roll call indicated that 124 jurors were present Tuesday.
The deputy would not allow anyone other than potential jurors inside Tuesday due to capacity issues. According to Elizabeth Lotz, public information officer for the Harford County Sheriff’s Office, deputies in the courthouse operate under the direction of the presiding judge.
On Monday during a pretrial conference, Curtin said she wished the case hadn’t received so much national attention and that the extensive media coverage has raised concerns about seating a fair and impartial jury.
Anne Arundel County criminal defense attorney Peter O’Neill said in his experience, when courtroom capacity issues arose, the court livestreamed proceedings to the media in a separate courtroom. Deputies said Tuesday that a livestream of the court proceedings was not available.
“The right of the public relative to transparency in the court trumps concerns of the court about the coverage,” O’Neill said. “The public has a right to know. This is a disservice.”
Nick Cavey, public information officer for the Maryland Judiciary, said the court can deny access due to fire code requirements, but said that the court should allow members of the media in as jurors leave and space becomes available.
“The public needs to be aware of what is transpiring in the courtroom so the public aware is that the process is working,” O’Neill said. “Transparency gives people confidence in the system.”
Curtin said the trial is expected to last 12 days, through April 16, and jury selection is scheduled to run through Thursday. No jurors were seated Tuesday. Opening statements are set for Friday. Each day, the trial will begin at 9:30 a.m. and run until about 5 p.m., Curtin said.
Potential jurors were instructed by Curtin to avoid news sites and gathering their own information outside the courtroom. They were also told not to speak to anyone about their experience with the case so far.
_____
©2025 Baltimore Sun. Visit baltimoresun.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Comments